Author Topic: Communication to DP610 console  (Read 7247 times)

boseytal

Communication to DP610 console
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »
Hi all,

Firs time poster here looking for some advice.

I have a DP610 that I would like to communicate with via my laptop. Is there a way to achieve this? I see on the unit there is a CAN & RS232 connector, which one should I use?

I see online there are CAN-USB converters, could this accomplish the task? Also, will the PLUS 1 software allow me to control the interface from my laptop? IE Chaeck hours, power down etc.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

ronakpatel8382@gmail.com

Re: Communication to DP610 console
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Hello
I am a new guy working on this kind of stuff too. But, I think you can connect your laptop and DP610 with CG150 cable. I am not sure but you can give it a try.
Thanks

boseytal

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked at this and it seems to be the connection alright - I suppose the next question is will this allow remote control of the PLC from a laptop, or is this just for updating firmware etc?

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:30:22 AM »
The CG150 adapter along with the Plus+1 Service Tool application running on your laptop will allow you to download new programs to the devices on the Plus+1 CAN network, as well as monitor and control them.  But to do this you will need to make a custom Service Tool application specific to a device and to the program that is written for it.  You also need to add monitoring "checkpoints" and input parameters to the device's program, and then you access these same checkpoints and parameters with the Service Tool application.

If you are coming from a PLC world, you will not find any of the typical built-in facilities for monitoring and controlling device i/o, and certainly not any built-in way to monitor or debug your program in real-time.  Plus+1 software is sorely lacking in that regard, imo.

boseytal

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »
Thanks very much for the info.

So if I've understood you correctly, the CG150 adapter with the Plus+1 Service Tool Application will allow me to download/upload from console - but you also mention control them. This sounds like what I'm looking to do.

You mention having to make a custom service tool application specific to a device - do you mean specific to the DP610? Does this require advanced PLC coding, or is there a GUI to achieve this?

From my research, there doesn't seem to be any remote application controls for these devices, and I think it's something that would benefit a lot of owners and contractors.

Offline Daniel

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Hi there

For you guys, that are new to the PLUS+1® environment: A good way to start could be to download GUIDE and GUIDE Service Tool from our download site and start to become friends with the manuals found within those. It will perhaps be a bit tricky in the beginning and probably raise a lot of questions, but it should at least give some basic understanding of how it all works.

Link to GUIDE download site:
http://powersolutions.danfoss.com/Products/MobileElectronics/PLUS1Guide/PLUS1GuideDownloads/PLUS1GUIDESoftwareLicense/index.htm

Link to GUIDE Service tool download site:
http://powersolutions.danfoss.com/Products/MobileElectronics/PLUS1Guide/PLUS1GuideDownloads/PLUS1GUIDEServiceToolSoftwareLicense/index.htm

Another good way to get started is of course also the free eLearning, available on the web here:
http://powersolutions.danfoss.com/Products/MobileElectronics/PLUS1Guide/PLUS1GuideSupport/PLUS1Training/index.htm

Besides, there are also instructor led face-to-face trainings available, which gives a wide understanding and also a good chance to ask questions directly to the instructor.

And then you can also ask our brilliant users that are active on this forum for help, as well as contacting helpdesk at plus+1helpdesk@danfoss.com.

Best regards
Daniel
PLUS+1® HelpDesk
PLUS+1® Help Desk Team

boseytal

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
Thanks very much for the feedback Daniel - I'll take your suggestions on board and get stuck into the manuals - no doubt I'll be in touch sometime soon!

Joe