Author Topic: SIL2 Programming  (Read 4530 times)

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
SIL2 Programming
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »
I've learned of a potential application that may end up requiring SIL2 rating.  I understand that the SC line of controllers meet this requirement from a hardware standpoint.  As far as programming goes I have a basic understanding of functional safety, but what does it entail to program a SIL2 application?  Does there need to be some kind of 3rd party testing?  Do I actually send my code to someone for review?  I'm entirely clueless, so I'm hoping that someone here has done a SIL2 program in GUIDE.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline SJ Industries

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: SIL2 Programming
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Hi Tom, did you find out any info on this? I have a project comkng up that will require this a safety control. They are pushing to use allen bradley, but they are all process people, Im not a fan of that sort of hardware in mobile applications.

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »
I haven't found anything out unfortunately.  I don't recall what my potential application was, but it didn't happen.  Danfoss has SIL2 controllers, but I'm still unclear on exactly what is required of a programmer/developer to meet SIL2 from a programming standpoint.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline jlindholm

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
Hello guys.
To do Functional Safety programming is not always an easy task. It requires some basic knowledge in Functional Safety.
If you have done your Safety assessment and identified safety functions that requires you to choose a SIL2 controller then the SC controller can be the right choice for the application.
When it comes to the software part, you will need to have a Functional Safety process to follow, to fulfill the Systematic capability that is required for SIL level 2. There are add on to the PLUS+1 GUIDE with tools to support the development of the safety code that can be used. Testing is an important part of the Safety process (follows the v-model) so the Test tool in the add on can be used.
Then you need to study and follow the recommendations in the Safety manual of the SC controller.
If you want to certify your application to a SIL 2 level you might want to turn to an external part like Tüv. However, if I remember the IEC 61508 standard correct, you don’t need an external part for fulfilling SIL2, but you need an independent (test organization) internal part for verification.
One recommendation from me is to check if ISO 13849 can be used. Then I think it will be easier , because it requires less from the software process, especially if you use GUIDE code.
There is more to say about Functional Safety, and we got some customers question, so we have decided to add new Function Safety training to cover the PLUS+1 functions and the software of the SC controller. The training is planned to be launched in 2020. 
/Jonas