Author Topic: CG150 SNIFFER IN CANOPEN  (Read 4952 times)

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
CG150 SNIFFER IN CANOPEN
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:24:38 AM »
Here is the thing

I have a slave CANopen device,  so a DP610 works as a Master, when sniffing the CANbus with CANking and the CG150 all the configurations do work well.

the slave gets configured properly and it does start working as desired.

now, if I shutoff CANking, the slave keeps working fine

If I cycle power without sniffing on the CAN BUS, then it does not work, slave does not gets properly configured thus it does not worky.

i have tryied the CAnking in silent mode but still the same, if monitoring the bus all works fine. I am not sending any CAN messages or so from the CAnking.

if I do not monitor the bus, have an issue ..

does any one may know why is that? I mean it is weird, iCanking should not have any effect on the bus, am I correct?

Thanks guys

Offline G30RG3

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: CG150 SNIFFER IN CANOPEN
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
About the only thing I can think of to explain such an issue are hardware problems.
Are you certain the baud rate is correct and the signals are healthy? Termination OK?
Adding a device like the CG150 might reduce the oscillations on the bus

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:48:34 AM »
Hello,

Have you got resistors connected across the CAN bus?  You should have a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the bus (but for testing one will suffice).

Maybe the load of the CG150 was good enough to get things started??

Are you sending a network start message from the DP610?

Cheers,

John.

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
Hello,

Have you got resistors connected across the CAN bus?  You should have a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the bus (but for testing one will suffice).

Maybe the load of the CG150 was good enough to get things started??

Are you sending a network start message from the DP610?

Cheers,

John.

Exactly this^.  Does your wiring setup have a terminating resistor built in?  Many CAN devices seem to work fine with a single 120 Ohm resistor while others want both to achieve a 60 Ohm resistance.  Your CG-150 adapter may well have a 120 Ohm resistor built in, so I'm thinking that your CAN wiring has a single 120 Ohm as well or maybe no terminating resistor.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »
Guys,

yep, I do have terminating resistors across the bus so my bus impedance is 60 Ohm..

now the interesting thing is that even with a PEAK USB to CAN it does the same, if sniffing it works fine

yes, I do have the NMT message, I do the configurations as per instructions, pre operational  mode and then I go to operational mode.

I have not go back to that prject yet but I guess I will have to look at the configurations at each step in order to verify which one is not set properly and then figure out why.

it is what I can think about so far

thanks I will post my results when done

Offline Marbek_Elektronik

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Marbek Elektronik
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »
About the only thing I can think of to explain such an issue are hardware problems.
Are you certain the baud rate is correct and the signals are healthy? Termination OK?
Adding a device like the CG150 might reduce the oscillations on the bus

Perhaps the slave has a CAN-chip inside, which only works with 11-bit can, not with 29 bit can bus, its to cheap?
There are devices which doesn't work with can messages short and long at the same time.
Is your service tool off and only can king on?
Marbek Elektronik, Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Konrad
Dienstleistung, Entwicklung, Herstellung

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:18:35 AM »
ok,

I found my problem. It was the request command to writte down the object dictionary. I had 22 which is not a valid one, it has to be 23 for 4 bytes writte down. as I said the funny thing is that when sniffing with the CG150 or PEAK it did work. but now it is been resolved it works stand alone

now I have a different question I will start another topic

thank you guys for the hints