Author Topic: Ethernet/CAN bus converter  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Beezkneez

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Trebro Turf Equipment
Ethernet/CAN bus converter
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:03:32 AM »
Hello,

I've searched the forum and saw a few other threads that are fairly similar but did not see any real evidence of people using Ethernet/CAN bus converters. Has anyone done this or had success at this? I've found a few online but would be interested to know if someone is already doing this and if they had any recommendations.

I am looking to receive receive TCP/IP data packets and convert them into CAN messages.

Thanks in advance!

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: Ethernet/CAN bus converter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 02:32:46 AM »
Hello,

I don't know of anything that is already in existence (with the exception of another brands controller), but I do know what is possible in regards to development boards, you could use a Raspberry Pi, or Clicker 2 board from Mikroelectronica could be a neat solution loaded with an ethernet click and a CAN click.

https://www.mikroe.com/clicker-2-pic18fj

I have used the Clicker 2 in a couple of applications (including the CAN click) and it's a cool thing.

Cheers,

John.

Offline SJ Industries

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:34:18 AM »
Had to look into it for a similar project and was recommended something along these lines. I haven't used them sorry, I don't know how easy they are to use.

https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index/anybus-xgateway/detail/anybus-x-gateway-ethernet-adpater-server-j1939
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:36:00 AM by SJ Industries »

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »
hey,

I have used modbus to Can gateways, one from EATON, with this you have to write down the code and you have to understand both comm protocol otherwise becomes a headache. after all it did work fine.
the last one I used was from Pyramid technologies and it was modbus to J1939 for hazardous locations, this is really nice simple to use it is a little price because of the certs

I do have some from anybus  but for some reason I did not make it work, have not tried anymore but the key is to understand both comm protocols, for sure you undestand CAN.

I hope this helps

Offline Beezkneez

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Trebro Turf Equipment
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
Thank you, all! I will be looking into all of those leads this morning. Really appreciate it!

Offline Neil

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
Try a wago 750-658, I use this on a regular basis.
The module is limited 48 bytes, if you need more, add another wago module.