Author Topic: Broadcasting on an engine canbus  (Read 8020 times)

Offline mhakin

• PLUS+1 Novice
Broadcasting on an engine canbus
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to broadcast on say on a Cummins CANBUS channel. I have a situation where I already have a CANBUS line from my mc88 on the secondary CANBUS channel back to my QSB 4.5 engine. I use this channel to control the engine RPMS. Right not we are running a tripad funk gearbox to drive three hydraulic pumps. I want to put a secondary controller back by the engine to monitor pressures in my hydraulic pumps. I would rather not have to run a second CANBUS line for the main channel all the way back to the engine compartment. I understand that I need to make sure the message ID's are different, and that the CAN BUS traffic is not too much for the system to handle. Any thoughts?

Matt :)

Offline spittet

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: Broadcasting on an engine canbus
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
There is absolutely no problem doing that. Just make sure that each controller (including the engine) that are on the same CAN network have unique node ID.

The way I see it, simply use a Input Expander Module and install it near the pumps. Connect the sensors to the Input expander and connect the Input Expander into the "Engine" CAN network. Make sure to change the default node ID of the Input Expander before installing it into the network. Program your MC088 to receive the sensor data correctly from the Input Expander.

Sam