Author Topic: Losing Connection on Crank  (Read 10172 times)

paulc

Losing Connection on Crank
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
Hello,

I am using a MC050-110 along with a IX024-101.
The machine is a proprietary grinding machine powered by a diesel power unit.

Problem: The service tool detects both units when the power is applied to the controllers. When the engine is started the expander unit disappears and functionality is lost. A rescan with the service tool only shows the MC050 controller. Switching the engine off and powering down for 2 to 3 minutes allows the service tool to find the expander again.
I have checked the cold crank voltage and it only drops to 10 volts from 12 volts when engine not running to 14 volts when running.
I have created an empty project just containing the templates and the problem persists.
The MC050 has two CANS. The expander is connected on CAN1.

Thanks
Paul

Offline Diego M

• PLUS+1 User
Re: Losing Connection on Crank
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
This sounds like a loose connection at the IO expansion module (check power and comm wiring), and the vibration makes it worse, but i'm  no expert  :P

paulc

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Hello and thanks for the response,

the connections are fine, all brand new and correctly crimped.

best
paul

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:24:45 PM »
Which addressing mode are you using for the expansion module?  Are you using address method 1?  Did you set the Node/N1 for your expansion module in both the program and in the expansion module diagnostic parameters?
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
I would just grab a 12V power supply or separate battery to temporarily power the MC050 and expansion unit.  Be sure the temporary 12V power to the MC050 and expansion unit is isolated from machine 12V, but connect the temporary supply's negative side to the machine negative.  That would rule out or confirm that you have a power issue.

Personally, I almost always put a decent DC-DC converter between the vehicle power and any Plus+1 system, even on 24V systems with a lower percentage droop.  Too many problems with both dips and spikes.

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Hi Paul!

I assume you mean you're using a IX024-010 because we don't have any HW with model number IX024-101.

I did the test with only template (MC050-110 nl including IX024-010) in my test bench using Service tool v8.1 and CAN1 but I can't replicate your issue. I let the voltage drop down to 8V before communication was lost and according to specification valid supply voltage is 10-36Vdc. As soon as I went up in voltage communication was resumed. Could it be disturbance from the machine that is causing this? If you have the possibility you can send PLUS+1 Helpdesk your application and a Copy ECU list to Clipboard from Service tool making a right click when highlighting ECU list. Please send it to plus+1helpdesk@danfoss.com .

Best regards
Nilla
PLUS+1 Helpdesk

Offline Jakob

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
If it is not the power dropping during crank, then I would definitely guess on some sort of disturbance from the machine, as Nilla sugested.
Try disconnecting everything from the IX except the system supply and CAN.
Even a connection to the sensor ground can make the IX shut down, if the ground potential levels don't match.