Author Topic: Diesel engine service  (Read 7978 times)

Offline FStelzer

• PLUS+1 Expert
Diesel engine service
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
Hello guys,

do you know if there is a J1939 message from a diesel engine where I can see the service status of the engine ? Or better said some kind of a service indication lamp?

And is it also possible to reset the service via CAN ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
FStelzer

Offline miltonbjm

• PLUS+1 Novice
  • PLUS+1PROGRAMER
Re: Diesel engine service
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
I haven't worked with an engine with a 'Service' lamp per se but with a 'Maintenance Due' lamp, but that's with a CAT engine.  The following is what I've seen regarding the CAT engines I've worked with, but not being a CAT technician I don't know many specifics.  The warning indicator, protect indicator...etc. are on J1939, but the maintenance status is not.  The maintenance status mode is set using the CAT ET (technician) program wherein they can turn it off entirely (I think) or set it for various reporting options.  There is a maintenance lamp clear switch, but depending on the maintenance status mode it may only clear it temporarily or not at all if you haven't fixed the issue.  The maintenance lamp clear switch for CAT engines hard wires directly to the engine ECU customer interface connector, and I haven't seen anything in the manual about them allowing it to be done over J1939.

The warning lamp, protect lamp, and other lamps on the J1939 DM1 message are tied to engine trouble codes, and even if you can code in a message to clear those I'm not sure it's wise.  Those codes are all meant to clear on their own when the issue goes away.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline FStelzer

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
Hello,

thanks for your answers.

I suspected that there is no standard J1939 message for the service. I think every engine manufacturer have their own service indication. I have to check this matter with the manufacturer.

But thanks for your answer !

Regards,
FStelzer

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:56:11 PM »
FStelzer, exactly what do you mean by "service"?  As FluidPowerTom said, the J1939 DM1 message, PGN 65226, is the standard message for diagnostic indication.  The next in line is the DM2 message, PGN 65227, which I think is basically the same thing except only in response to a request for previous fault codes.  Then there's DM3, PGN 65228, which you can transmit to an engine to clear fault codes.  Support of that last one will probably vary considerably between manufacturers.