Author Topic: Reading program from controller  (Read 2470 times)

Offline michaeldostie

• PLUS+1 User
Reading program from controller
« on: May 16, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »
Hi, I am new to Danfoss controllers and I have an issue with a MC-050­.

I am very familiar with OMRON and Schneider Momentum PLCs and their programming tools, but can't seem to figure out how to read or write to the Danfoss controller. One of the outputs seem to be burned out and I would like to change the mapping of the controller as I am sure they aren't all used, but I do not have the original programming as it was built by a manufacturer that does not exist anymore. Changing the unit is not a solution I want to explore either as I can't order one from them or get the original programming, and starting from scratch seems pretty ludicrous. In that case I would strip anything danfoss related and replace with what we use elsewhere.

Purchasing a license is not a problem if it is indeed what it takes, as I am guessing you can't do much with the trial version of the plus1 suite, but I want to make sure before buying anything and I am willing to learn how to use these tools. I have the usb modem and am able to connect to the controller via canbus. I see it connected.

I cannot find any relevant documentation or videos online on how to upload whatever is inside, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a good day

Offline G30RG3

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: Reading program from controller
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry, but without the source file, you won't be able to recompile and so switching an output port is not that easy.
The same goes for duplicating the controller: You need at least the compiled software, the parameter settings and passkeys to program and parameterize the controller.
I don't believe there is a way to extract the .LHX (compiled package) or back up the parameters if they're behind a passkey

Offline michaeldostie

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »
Well... thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Looks like we'll be stripping anything Danfoss in the future, we have no use for something that can't be modified.

Have a good day

Offline G30RG3

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 06:59:14 PM »
Well, looking at it from the OEM viewpoint, I would prefer it if an end customer isn't able to mess with my software.
If the OEM wants you to have that unrestricted access, they could provide the source code, or bring you in contact with the people that made and tested the software.
Same deal for accessing parameters. The OEM can, but isn't forced to password protect parameters.
If the manufacturer isn't available anymore, you might try to find out who took over, or try contacting Danfoss...

Offline michaeldostie

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:25:21 PM »
Most PLCs I have worked with in my carrer aren't locked out that way. Imagine stopping an entire line of production, in my case a gold mine, because 1 little company wanted to keep it's hands on a project and is now inexistent. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. We work with Omron and Schneider PLCs, and I have never had any problems whatsoever.

Most industries have very capable programmers, and OEMs build machines or products based on our needs, but maintenance and troubleshooting are in our department. Restricting something we have to work with on a daily basis is dumb at best.

Now I get why we barely see any Danfoss....

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 05:29:16 PM »
This is not limited to Danfoss.  I've worked with several different brands of mobile microcontrollers and just a few different PLCs.  Mobile industry microcontrollers very, very rarely have the feature of being able to download the program from the controller.  In fact I only know of one mobile microcontroller that has that feature.  You're not thinking of installing a PLC on a mobile machine just for this reason are you?
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline michaeldostie

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
This particular machine is fixed, it's a rock hammer but we have them on mobile equipments as well. The only advange I see with this product is it is pretty compact and I understand the use of locking programming when technicians are readily available. But on machines underground and hard to reach locations where the on site personnel is responsible for maintenance and troubleshooting, locking production equipment is ludicrous imo.

And yes, it has crossed my mind because we have to start from scratch because of that reason.

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »
Have you been able to reach out to the company that did the original programming?  They should be able to continue supporting that machine or, possibly, be willing to supply you with the .p1p project file for the program.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline michaeldostie

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »
The manufacturer doesn't exist anymore, they went belly up a while back. No external support. I had to remove the danfoss minicontroller and swap in a PLC and McGyver this. Really not the best looking setup but works for now. Was hopeful to find a solution on here.