Author Topic: Downloading the Service Tool is a hassle or outright broken  (Read 2802 times)

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
I recently directed a customer to the Danfoss website where they could download the Service Tool.  They filled out the request form and and never got any email they claimed.  I filled it out and got the first email which has some link that you click, and the wording there indicates that I should then be receiving a second email which, hopefully, has the download link.  I never did get that second email.

Ultimately, I had to have this customer, who will never ever be a GUIDE programmer, download the Update Center.  From there they had to update the Update Center.  Then finally they were able to use the Update Center to download the Service Tool.

This process is unacceptably laborious and time-consuming.  I expect, at most, a single email containing a download link for the Service Tool after filling out a brief form.  In fact, why not just let them download it directly once they've filled out the form?
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
Re: Downloading the Service Tool is a hassle or outright broken
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »
I second this.  I'm not even sending my customers to the website anymore... I am now keeping the downloaded Service Tool install file and using WeTransfer to send it to my customers directly.  Was just on a conference call with my account manager and said the same  ;D

Offline OneOverS

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:28:08 PM »
I also agree...  Just make it a simple download.  Don't even need a form in my opinion.

I think there was some idea that the update center is good for everybody and keeps people up to date, even field techs who are only "users" and not "designers".  This is OK in theory, but in reality, the update center is too complex.  For these users, the update center needs to be as easy as windows update center which requires absolutely no operator interaction (aside from having their computer on and connected to the internet).

There is another complication I am frequently seeing...  Many customers use a third party for IT support and those companies often lock out administrator access.  This then requires special assistance to get updated versions installed.  This extra complication makes it even less likely that the update center is helping users like this stay up-to-date.

Offline deaks57

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »
Also agree. I'm now having to help field guys download the service tool which is a waste of every ones time. No forms, no emails, just a one click download!

Offline BrianF

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:59:13 PM »
I would defiantly agree with FluidPowerTom on this too.
-Brian F

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 09:00:52 PM »
Have also run into this here. Is time consuming sitting with the techs to download/update software.

The link on the webpage isn't very clear/standout.

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 08:38:13 PM »
I kind of thought after the replies here that we'd see a response from a Danfoss personnel.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline dlewis

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Getman Corporation
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 05:40:17 PM »
I also had to send a customer the downloaded .exe file for them to install service tool.  They NEVER got an email with a link.

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 10:37:53 AM »
Hello,

Sorry about the late reply, but summer vacation got in the way.

I don't have a good answer to why it was the way it was, or why it is the way it is. Who knows about tomorrow?  I don't make the decisions.

"In fact, why not just let them download it directly once they've filled out the form?"

Yes the preferred way to get the PLUS+1 Tools, files and document are to use the PLUS+1 Update Center.
One place to find what you need.

No more "web hunting" for the latest files, no forms to fill in, no emails with download links that never shows up because of different reasons. You have to spend 1 minute to create an account to use it.
How to use it: https://youtu.be/4n8f8ri-poY

With that said, it's not the perfect tool for everybody, especially if you don't want to install another software. But you seem to have found the workaround to keep the setup files and share.

Your inputs are very much appreciated and are shared with the correct people.

Have a nice day.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline G30RG3

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »
One could also make the update software an install-free executable. That would make the perception of a "long procedure" shorter

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 10:22:26 PM »
I just wanted to bring this back up. My many customers whose only need is the service tool should not have to navigate the Update Center.  It continues to be a hassle.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems