Author Topic: MC050 Outputs Active on Download  (Read 5278 times)

paulc

MC050 Outputs Active on Download
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:20:32 AM »
Hello,

I am using a MC050-110 along with a IX024-101.
The machine is a proprietary grinding machine powered by a diesel power unit.

Problem :  When the machine is powered on and the engine is running.......
If a project is downloaded to the controller all the outputs go to full on the MC050 whilst the download is happening. When the download finishes motion stops. This could be extremely dangerous for an unsuspecting engineer some time down the line.
This is also the case if an empty project is downloaded with no code apart from the templates supplied by Danfoss. All the hydraulic motors turn at full speed and the cylinders move. Again very dangerous.
I see from some other posts on the forum that this has been flagged before.
Best
Paul

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: MC050 Outputs Active on Download
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
Hi Paul!

According to the User Manual (page 6) for PLUS+1 Service tool;

You should only download your application to hardware or change software parameters while the
vehicle is not in operation. After downloading, test application operation under normal and abnormal
operating conditions.

Best regards
Nilla
PLUS+1 Helpdesk

paulc

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Hello, and thanks for the reply.

As an industrial engineer of many decades I find your answer very worrying.

All the industrial  PLC's I have used de-activate their outputs when you download to the them. They will go into standby and you have to explicitly go into 'run' mode to re-activate them.

Is there no such safety mechanism on the Danfoss controllers?

I am not concerned for myself as I understand the problem but, in a few years time an unsuspecting engineer could have a shock.

Best
Paul

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
Hello again!

When I do a test in our test bench I get 0V on the outputs during download of application program(template only). I can't say why you get something else but if you want to you can send your application program to us at Helpdesk to test.

Best regards
Nilla
PLUS+1 Helpdesk

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
All of the MC050 controllers I've worked with turn off all outputs when a download is in progress.  And yeah, never load software to a live machine...

Offline Daniel

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
Hello

In GUIDE there is a possibility disable the download of application and/or parameters until the application has identified that the machine is in a safe state, by using the ServiceTool.DisableWrite and ServiceTool.DisableDownload signals (see attached image).

You will find more information around this in the GUIDE User manual, in the section called "About IEC 61508:2010 Certification" in the very beginning of the manual.

If a safe state is not handled by the application, it is up to the person performing the download to ensure the machine is in a safe state before starting the download.

Best regards
Daniel
PLUS+1® Helpdesk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:18:18 PM by Daniel »
PLUS+1® Help Desk Team