Author Topic: Using PWM current control w/ dither on a non-proportional valve  (Read 3535 times)

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
Using PWM current control w/ dither on a non-proportional valve
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »
I’ve got a scenario wherein I’m wanting to use an output configured with OutputMode 5 (current control w/ dither) for an on/off (bang bang) valve.  Does anyone have any experience in doing this or know if there’s any issue?  I’m figuring I’ll just command a current equal to what the valve coil will draw at the rated voltage.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
Re: Using PWM current control w/ dither on a non-proportional valve
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
Should work with most valves. You won't have the accuracy of a proportional and depending on the valve you or may not get an transitional response. It won't harm the valve to play around and test.

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 12:03:27 AM »
In my opinion that's a good way to control a valve on a mobile machine, it regulates the amount of power (current) going to a solenoid to prevent the coil getting too hot as the supply voltage changes.  As long as you are not using any dither on top of the current signal, as this would be just a waste.

My two cents worth!

Cheers,

John.

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:20:04 PM »
Yes, it works well.  Especially since the force from a coil is due to the current.  Also a great way to use 12V valves on a 24V system.