Author Topic: Real-time clock.  (Read 8843 times)

ET

Real-time clock.
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »
Is there a real-time clock component in GUIDE?
I want to put a screen on a DP600 (which is connected to an MC050-010), which will keep track of daily/weekly/etc miles paved.
I already know how to get the time since the unit was powered on.
However, I can't seem to find any components in GUIDE, which would read, or set, the current time in human units, and keep track of it while the machine is powered off.
e.g. Year, month, day, hour, second.

Where is this functionality?

Quax76

Re: Real-time clock.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
This is quiet simple.
There is no component in Guide itself.
The templates of components which has a RTC has an RealTimeClock Bus on the Input Bus.

ET

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you said.
Is there a real-time clock on Sauer Danfoss controllers, or is there not?
(For example, an MC50-010.)
If there is, how do I access it?

Offline Jakob

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
I only seen the RealTimeClock on the displays.
A RTC on a MC controller would be great.
So far I have made a counter function to keep track of machine running hours, unless the system included a display.

The memory of the display would also be better suited to keep track of all those data.

Offline Richard

• PLUS+1 Expert
    • Textron
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
I don't think many people know this but in the Inverter Function Block Library there is aready made hour counter along with several other function blocks.

ET

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
I only seen the RealTimeClock on the displays.

This is actually useful information for me, since my machines each have a DP600 screen and/or a DP250 screen.
Thanks!

FYI for people who don't know where it is:
Inputs->Time->RTC

Offline LouisGroen

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Groentech
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Plus 1 but have learnt a few things over the last couple of months. I have an issue with a MC024-118 Controller which I am hoping someone could share some light on..

I require this controller to record data, IE data logging, which I've managed to get to a point that I am happy with, but the issue is that I need a time and date stamp related to each item logged. I came across an earlier post which helped a lot in terms of using the loop count function to count the seconds, minutes, hours and so on, but this does solve the issue of the time getting lost when the controller is switched off. For an hour meter, I can store the last known value and then continue when the vehicle is powered up, but can this MC024-118 even track the time and date when powered off, and if so, any advice on how to do so?

Thanks
Fluid Power Engineer
Groentech Systems

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »
Louis, no, as this post indicates you need a display or other device with a real time clock.  The controller does not have a real time clock.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Online Marbek_Elektronik

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Marbek Elektronik
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
Perhaps you can use extern data-logging with time stamp and you can use extern real time clock?
But it will be not cheaper than using a DP200.
Marbek Elektronik, Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Konrad
Dienstleistung, Entwicklung, Herstellung

Offline LouisGroen

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Groentech
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.

I have contacted the supplier and they have agreed to replace the units with display units capable of achieving the same results, but I will need to add the expansion module in order to get the same outputs and these would be at an additional cost.

I have also looked into using an external real time clock with CAN protocol, as this would be a cheaper solution to the expansion modules, but will do some research on this to see what the code would entail.

Fluid Power Engineer
Groentech Systems

Offline SJ Industries

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »
Are you reading info of an engine ECM? I am getting RTC data from a Cummins ecm on a project.

Offline LouisGroen

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Groentech
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
No this is used to monitor a safety system installed on one of our vehicles used in an underground mine. All of our vehicles use mechanical engines so there really isn't any other option.
Fluid Power Engineer
Groentech Systems

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:00:59 PM »
How long are the engines shut down? Could you connect the controller straight to battery without the keyswitch in between and use engine rpm to tell whether system outputs should be active or the system essentially in a "powersave" mode. Would want to verify amp draw to make sure the controller doesn't kill the battery in the off time.

Offline LouisGroen

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Groentech
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
Hi Mike,

Our vehicles are actually very specific as they start via a hydraulic start and don't make use of a battery at all. Power to the controller is only supplied once the vehicle is running, which makes my life extremely difficult at times when wanting to incorporate safety systems.

I ,managed to find a small CAN real time clock from IFM, which is the same size as an automotive relay and quite cheap, which I intend on using going forward.

I'll add the link if anyone is interested: https://www.ifm.com/za/en/shared/product-news/systems-for-mobile-machines/2016/sps/real-time-clock-module-for-mobile-machines

I have not yet installed and tested it, but pretty sure it should do the trick. Once I get going, I will post the results here.
Fluid Power Engineer
Groentech Systems

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the info and the link Louis, that is a very interesting component. We may be able to use that in some of our applications as well.