Author Topic: linux displays  (Read 5965 times)

Offline richardlang

• PLUS+1 User
linux displays
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:03:46 AM »
Most of the newer danfoss PLUS+1 displays use a linux operating system under the hood, and in compliance with linux open source licencing Danfoss advertises that it will provide full source code for the devices upon request.  I've even seen comments in some of the data sheets indicating that shell access is enabled on the displays.   Is anyone aware of any documentation supporting use of the displays as a "general purpose" linux computer?

thanks

Richard

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: linux displays
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Hi Richard!

In general we do not recommend using these displays as a computer. The displays do not have a Real Time Operating System (RTOS). You should not use these displays as the master control for any type of safety critical control, or closed loop control system. Frequency inputs are managed by the operating system. Accuracy can be affected by processor load. These displays should only be used for non-safety critical related functions.

In compliance with linux open source licencing Danfoss we will provide full source code for the devices upon request. 

Best regards
Nilla
PLUS+1 Helpdesk

Offline richardlang

• PLUS+1 User
Re: linux displays
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:02:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware of the limitations you mention here thanks Nilla.  I've recently been engaged to develop a user interface and supervisory control product for a company who is a current Danfoss PLUS+1 user.   The requirements of the product are far beyond what would be feasible to execute on a PLUS+1 display using the GUIDE toolset - at this point I'm thinking C++ applications using the Qt framework and targeting an embedded linux platform.  As noted I've no interest in using the GUIDE software, however from a hardware point of view the PLUS+1 displays are quite appealing.  Their form factor, environmental ruggedness and I/O connections all suit our perceived requirements, and as we will most likely continue using PLUS+1 components in other parts of the system, continuing to source displays from Danfoss would be simple and convenient.   Having said that, if there is an excessive amount of hacking/reverse engineering required in accessing and configuring your displays to operate as a general linux platform running our own arbitrary custom software, we may be better off looking elsewhere.

thanks.