PLUS+1 Hardware > Controllers

Real-time clock.

<< < (3/3)

SJ Industries:
Are you reading info of an engine ECM? I am getting RTC data from a Cummins ecm on a project.

LouisGroen:
No this is used to monitor a safety system installed on one of our vehicles used in an underground mine. All of our vehicles use mechanical engines so there really isn't any other option.

Mike:
How long are the engines shut down? Could you connect the controller straight to battery without the keyswitch in between and use engine rpm to tell whether system outputs should be active or the system essentially in a "powersave" mode. Would want to verify amp draw to make sure the controller doesn't kill the battery in the off time.

LouisGroen:
Hi Mike,

Our vehicles are actually very specific as they start via a hydraulic start and don't make use of a battery at all. Power to the controller is only supplied once the vehicle is running, which makes my life extremely difficult at times when wanting to incorporate safety systems.

I ,managed to find a small CAN real time clock from IFM, which is the same size as an automotive relay and quite cheap, which I intend on using going forward.

I'll add the link if anyone is interested: https://www.ifm.com/za/en/shared/product-news/systems-for-mobile-machines/2016/sps/real-time-clock-module-for-mobile-machines

I have not yet installed and tested it, but pretty sure it should do the trick. Once I get going, I will post the results here.

Mike:
Thanks for the info and the link Louis, that is a very interesting component. We may be able to use that in some of our applications as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version