Author Topic: Internal Coils  (Read 20617 times)

Mike Stiffler

Internal Coils
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »
Hello:

I'm new to Plus+1 and I come from a PLC background.  I was using the Boolean logic for converting some ladder logic, but I'm stuck with how to turn on an internal coil versus a real world output coil.

I would use the internal coil to latch the Boolean circuit and elsewhere in the logic to make other decisions.  Do I have to write to a bit in a word to represent an internal coil?

Thank you,

Mike Stiffler

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Expert
Re: Internal Coils
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
Hello Mike,

PLUS+1 hasn't any "coils" like PLC. In PLC you give these "coils" a name like M1.0. In PLUS+1 you have to connect a green wire to the output of e.g. a SR-latch and pull that wire through you program where you want to read it.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
Stephen:

OK, I'll give the set/reset latch a try.

Thank you,

Mike

paterianus

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I came from the PLC world as well so I can sympathise with you.  As Stephan said you have to "name" your internal outputs and connect them to the AUTO bus in order to use them elsewhere in your program.

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »
Hello:

Would it be possible to explain your concept a little bit more?  When I did a search for AUTO bus in the help guide nothing came up.

Thank you,

Mike

paterianus

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
It's called a bus port (the yellow oval with a line above and below) and you could name one "internals" to emulate internal coils.

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »
Hello:

OK, I'll give that a try.

Thank you,

Mike

bgtwuk

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:40 AM »
Hey Mike

Have you got your internal bits working?

Bgtwuk

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
Bgtwuk:

No, I'm not sure how to do it.

I tried one idea with some test code and it would not compile.

If you have any additional information or an example, it would be nice.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
Hello:

I was able to create a new bus called Man_Mode, write a variable to it via some Boolean logic using the variable name Man_Mode_Enabled, and then latch a logic circuit from that new bus with the Man_Mode_Enabled variable as an input.  The code compiled with no errors.

Now I need a way to test the code to see if it will work.  I have a breakout board but have not wired it yet.  Is there a way to force the input on and simulate the MC24-20 microcontroller running to test the code?  Is it possible for the service tool to do this?  I've got the feeling that I'll have to wait untill I can wire it to the breakout board to test the code.  Any other suggestions?

I feel I'm making some progress.

Thank you,

Mike

Offline Neil

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »
Hi Mike.

Depending on what I’m doing and my circumstances, I occasionally use the Dp600 simulator, to develop and test the functionality of code, or part of.
Inputs are controlled via a latch or a toggle; the outputs are managed in the screen editor depending on the signal type.
Ultimately everything gets tested with the hardware.

Neil
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:58:45 AM by Neil »

Volker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
You can use Parameters and checkpoints to control your programm without any wired input and output.

bgtwuk

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:40:17 AM »
Hey Mike

Sorry I have had no time to access this forum.
Did you get your program working?

I have had much experience with this on my projects but do not know how to show it to you beyond words.

Bgtwuk

Mike Stiffler

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
Hello:

I got my internal coils working by using a bus that I created called Internal Coils and I was able to successfully test the code using a breakout board.  This makes it much easier for me to do latching circuits.

For many other problems I also recommend contacting the Plus+1 help desk at Sauer-Danfoss.  Randy Scholten was able to help me find a rookie mistake that I made wiring the CAN bus and he was very patient with me while finding it.  I’m embarrassed to admit it but I didn’t read my Digital Display Meter correctly.  Instead of installing a terminating resistor of 120 Ohms I used 120k Ohms.  Maybe my rookie mistake will help someone else down the road, but it was Randy that keep coming back to it.  He made me triple check it and the last time to look for the little k symbol.  Thank you for your professional and timely support Randy.

Sincerely,

Mike Stiffler

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
You can use Parameters and checkpoints to control your programm without any wired input and output.

I see that this is a really old topic, but I wanted to chime in that this isn't entirely possible I think.  Parameters are for writing to flash aka non-volatile (EEROM) memory only.  My understanding is that there isn't a way to logically force variables as is being discussed here.  A break out board or other hard wiring is required.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems