Author Topic: Where and when is the PLG file created  (Read 6394 times)

Offline spittet

• PLUS+1 Guru
Where and when is the PLG file created
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:23 PM »
Hi,

Here's my situation. I create a new PLUS1 Guide program and I compile it. I do not have the required controller right now so I cannot download the *.LHX file into it right now. I still want to create the *.P1D diagnostic offline while I'm waiting for the required controller to be shipped at my shop. I understand that because I'm working offline, I need to add a new ECU and install a *.PLG file.

Where is the *.PLG file for my compiled program? It's not inside my project folder.
Is it created when I compile the program?

As I can see, a *.PLG file is created and added to the current PLG file list only when it's downloaded into an ECU. What can I do if I don't have the ECU to download into. I still want to create the diagnostic file offline to use my spare time while I'm waiting for my controller.

If it's impossible to do what I want, then I think that offline work for diagnostic file is useless. Here's the case that happens most of the time :

1- I do a program, compile it, test it, build a diagnostic file, test in the machine and my work is done.
2- Few weeks later, my customer want to add a parameter instead of a constant value in the code.
3- I create a new revision of the program and I compile it.
4- I don't have the ECUs, they are phisically installed on the machine, thousands of miles from my desktop.
5- I want to add the new parameter into my previous diagnostic file. I can't do it because I don't have access to the ECUs so I need to work offline.
6- My customer do not have a full PLUS1 Service Tool license so he cannot add the required parameter himself while he is connected to the machine.

Our current solution for this problem is that we have a spare of each type of ECU (1x MX024, 1x DP200, 1x MC088, 1xMC050, etc) when we want to do an update of a diangostic file. This temporary solution is quite costly because all these ECUs aren't use for something else. Also, with the new MC0XX-1X0 versions of controller, we will need to buy these too in the near future because this is what our customers will use in their machines.

Anyone has a better solution for this problem?

Sam

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: Where and when is the PLG file created
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »
The PLG data is essentially buried in the LHX file.   In the Service Tool: 

File -> Install Diagnostic Data -> Install -> select your compiled *.LHX file.

Communication -> Offline Mode

Then in the Diagnostic Navigator pane, right-click on ECU List and select your magically appearing PLG data from the "Offline Diagnostic Data file" drop-down list.

Offline spittet

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Wow, that was an easy one.  :-[

I tried it and it works.

I don't know how I missed this one so easily. I was stuck on trying to understand where the *.PLG file was located. I never thought about the *.LHX file.

Thanks a lot for that!

Sam

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:57:31 AM »
I should add some info I received from the Plus+1 Helpdesk when I asked why I couldn't install offline diag data for the screens:
It is unfortunately not possible to install the diagnostic data for the DP6xxXX since the plg files are created differently in the displays than it is in the controllers.

The plg files for the controllers are created and put into the lhx file, but the plg files for the displays are created during download.

The only displays that have installable diagnostic data are the DP2xx:s.