Author Topic: CAN Node ID  (Read 13804 times)

power4

CAN Node ID
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
Hi Everyone, I have another question about CAN Node ID in Sauer-Danfoss controller. As far as I know, the node ID of multiple CAN devices on a CAN bus should be unique. How do I make sure different CAN devices have different node ID? For example, if there are already two CAN devices which have different Node ID, and I want to put the third one into the bus, do I need to specifically set up the node ID of the third device or it will be automatically be a unique number? If user have to setup it manually, how do I do it?

Thanks!

Offline Richard

• PLUS+1 Expert
    • Textron
Re: CAN Node ID
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Hi,

If you using a display or a controller simply change the default node id at the top level of the application, in the 'unit_config' page.

If you're adding a joystick you change the id with the service tool.

If you're talking about an expansion module that's another story.

Richard

power4

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Thanks! Got it.

Is it possible to change the Node number programmable? The situation is like this, for example, we already have 2 CAN device with different node ID, and I want to add third CAN device to the bus, and how can I avoid the conflict of node ID if I don't know the node IDs of the existing two CAN devices? Is it possible to use hardware like "dip switch" to dynamically configure the CAN node ID?

Thanks!   

Hi,

If you using a display or a controller simply change the default node id at the top level of the application, in the 'unit_config' page.

If you're adding a joystick you change the id with the service tool.

If you're talking about an expansion module that's another story.

Richard

Offline Richard

• PLUS+1 Expert
    • Textron
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
Hi,
Dynamically change the node id?  I've never tried it but I don't see why not.  Just connect the value in the unit_config page to control logic.

Richard

power4

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
It seems not working. Even, I just add two constants and put the sum to the Node input of the CAN0_Setting. The only thing I can do is the assign a U8 constant to the Node.

Hi,
Dynamically change the node id?  I've never tried it but I don't see why not.  Just connect the value in the unit_config page to control logic.

Richard

power4

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
I checked the C source code and the initialization of CAN node ID is in a structure. So, this node ID can only be assigned with an integer number in compile time.

Quax76

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
A very, very late answer....
But I've done dynamic change of Node ID in an older project.
The only components, you could connect to the HW init are (refering to the Plus+1 help):
 · Accepts only inputs from constant and non-volatile (EE) memory components

· A changed input value from an EE component takes effect only after the controller repowers

I've managed a reboot of the controller (relay for power supply turned off by the controller)after a change of the ID is detected.