Author Topic: Renaming a project  (Read 2713 times)

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
Renaming a project
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:09:31 PM »
Hi,

Previously I could copy an existing P1P file to a new name and then open up the project and it would magically change the project name to the new name.  If I try this in 12.0.7 I get a corrupted file message and it fails to unpack the P1P file.

I tired a "Project Rename" but I get the error:
"Unable to rename project. The new name is not valid.
Common reasons for this can include:
-Use of not valid characters in the name
-Conflict with name of another project file"

The only strange character I have in the name is an underscore, and I tried copying the P1P to a new folder and had the same error.

Has anyone used the Project Rename function successfully?

Cheers,

John.

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: Renaming a project
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:14:12 PM »
To shed a little more light, I am trying to rename it to a project name that I previously used, but deleted, it just seems to remember the past names and won't let you re-use them

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
Hi John,

I have just tried to do a name change on a project and I didn't have any problem. Both by renaming the P1P and "Rename Project",  I will go through how I did it so we're not missing anything.

I'm using a MC_050-020 with an application called NAMECHANGE_1.P1P, in the test and this is how I did it.

Renaming P1P
1. Close to P1P.
2. Copy the P1P to a new folder
3. Rename the P1P to NAMECHANGE_2.P1P
4. Open P1P in PLUS+1 GUIDE and compile.
5. Close to P1P
You should now have a P1P and LHX file with the name NAMECHANGE_2.

Using Project Rename
1. Open NAMECHANGE_2 in PLUS+1 GUIDE
2. Open "Project Rename" in the File menu.
3. Change the name to NAMECHANGE_3.
4. Compile
5. Close to P1P
You should now have a P1P and LHX file with the name NAMECHANGE_3. But also the old LHX file, NAMECHANGE_2.LHX.
I also tried to go back by renaming it to NAMECHANGE_2 again without any problem.

If you have deleted all files in the folder from the old project, and changing back to that name, or using a new folder it shouldn't cause a problem.
Let us know if you still have the issue, then we need to look into it.

Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline jashom1

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »
Thanks Tor,

Looks like it's just related to this one project, I have shot the help desk an email :)

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
Hi,

We solved the problem and if anybody else have the same issue I will post the solution here as well.

In this case an error message (attached) came up when we tried to rename the project. Both with renaming the P1P and using the "Project Rename" in the file menu.
The problem was that a file, a LHX Read Me file in this case, had the same name as the project.

So if you have the same problem, check the names of the added document in your project.

Have a nice day.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team