Author Topic: Do Checkpoints increase CAN traffic?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
Do Checkpoints increase CAN traffic?
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:21:52 PM »
Do a lot of checkpoints significantly increase CAN traffic while connected with the Service Tool?  How about when not connected with the Service Tool?
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline mtrbib

• PLUS+1 User
Re: Do Checkpoints increase CAN traffic?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 07:44:25 AM »
As far as I know, traffic is generated with the ServiceTool updating the Checkpoints.

That means as long as you are not updating (using ServiceTool) there is no traffic cause by Checkpoint in the software.

You can decreese the busload by encreasing the Change Log Period (F9 in ServiceTool). The lower the period, the higher the traffic.

I hope this helps.

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:32:04 PM »
Now I know why you asked this Tom (or at least I think I do)... I finally noticed the Bus % Load at the bottom of the 2021.1.5 Version of the Service Tool, and had a WTF moment when my utilization shot up to 82% when I started Logging on a fairly busy log page (my 'normal' % Load is normally 32-35%).  Didn't correlate it at the time (thought I forgot an oscillator on a TX block) but remembered seeing you post this a few weeks back.  Saved me some time Tom, thanks (and you too,mtrbib) :)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:57:25 AM by niteRider »

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:28 PM »
Just an FYI on a ticket response I had submitted for a similar question:

Yes, it is my understanding the Checkpoints do have an impact on the overall Rom usage as well as RAM used during run time.
Also if the signal is selected by a PLUS+1 Service Tool diagnostic page this will impact CAN bus load as long as the signal is actively being monitored.

It has been my understanding setting the Advanced Checkpoints to False does remove them from the compiled code.