Author Topic: CANBUS Connectors  (Read 12301 times)

Nick Anderson

CANBUS Connectors
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
I've seen online some companies that have these CAN Network connectors and t-junctions, to simply aid in making drops off of the the main CAN backbone.  Has anybody used any of these.  I've seen some from Furuno, and some from Squarell.  I'm sure there are many more out there as well.  Does anybody know the quality, reliabilty of using.  How do others usually connect a system consisting of mutiple nodes together on the network, with drops and termination resistance?

Offline Richard

• PLUS+1 Expert
    • Textron
Re: CANBUS Connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
Never used them myself but we use splices in the wiring looms to link nodes to the backbone.  I think they're dry joints and it seems to be relaible to date.

Richard

radioact

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
I am using Belkin CAN cable and some of the weather tight connectors and tees provided by my local Sauer distributor. I do not know what brand the are but from my experience with them they work well.

The only issue I have had is with the initial assembly of the plugs. If the tech putting them together is not familiar with how they go together there is a chance the pins will not seat in the plug correctly but everything will look good. I have had to run down a bus looking for a bad connection only to find one of the pins wasn't making contact with its mate.

Terminators are very easy, look like a empty plug with the resistor built in, you just plug it in the last tee of the buss. To expand the buss for new devices you unplug the last terminator and plug in a new segment. This was important to me because upgrading/downgrading a system with optional features is easy, just plug in or unplug a device.

Tyler

Nick Anderson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
RadioAct,

Who is your Sauer distributor?  Maybe I can get my local rep to get in contact with yours.

Nick

radioact

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:18:54 PM »
I am getting my Plus+1 parts from SunSource (http://www.sunsrce.com/region.html) they have locals reps most everywhere in north america. Here are the part numbers for the connectors I am using.

DT04-3P-P007 Duetsch DEUTSCH TEE
DT06-3S-P006 Duetsch TERMINATING RESISTER
DT06-3S-EP11 Duetsch DEUTSCH 3 PIN PLUG
W3S-1939-P012 Duetsch DEUTSCH LOCKING WEDGE
W3S-P012 Duetsch DEUTSCH LOCKING WEDGE
0462-201-1631 Duetsch DEUTSCH SOCKETS

Tyler

jsaluk

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
Deutsch connectors makes all sorts including the "tee" for network connections
Available from Ladd Inc  www.laddinc.com  primary source