Author Topic: GUIDE looks like schematic editor  (Read 4276 times)

enigmapaul

GUIDE looks like schematic editor
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Hi Folks -

I'm new to GUIDE and am enjoying getting familiar. 

I was struck by how similar it looks to electronics schematic editors like Altium and uses a lot of the same notations.

It got me curious and I'm wondering if GUIDE is specifically targeted at electronics designers, or perhaps its just because GUIDE was actually based on some existing CAD software?  Does it have some kind of integration with Altium or other schematic tools?

Thanks!

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: GUIDE looks like schematic editor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
GUIDE is targeted at regular hydraulics designers.  I believe the graphical layout portion of the software is based on some really old electronic CAD software, like PCAD (which I used many moons ago).  There is no integration with Altium (which I currently use) or any other CAD software that I know of.

Offline Marbek_Elektronik

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Marbek Elektronik
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
Hi oiltronic,

you also use Altium? I also use it. (Version Summer 2009).
I use Protel/Altium since 1998.
Do you also think, it is an advantage to work with layout software and then learn programming Guide? I think so.
It is a similar way of thinking.
And the number of mistakes is less than in other program languages.
But only display programing is in classic screen editor not effectiv, because it is not optimized.
Marbek Elektronik, Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Konrad
Dienstleistung, Entwicklung, Herstellung

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
Yep, I use Altium Release 10 and have used most versions since Protel in the late 1990's, same as you.  I have also programmed machinery in C, Perl, ladder logic, structured text, and other FBD software.  The schematic capture experience definitely helped with learning GUIDE quickly (I never attended any of the Plus+1 courses).  I find that GUIDE is very good for producing few errors and being able to find & fix them quickly, especially when it comes to arithmetic or more complex logic operations.  Unfortunately both the raster & vector screen editors look like they were designed by software engineers with little real-world HMI programming experience because of the extreme flexibility and exposed OO concepts.  Kind of like what you would get by having a carpenter design your house.

Offline Marbek_Elektronik

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Marbek Elektronik
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
Typical for layout-software is to use keys while routing to change routing mode.

I have tried (I don't know, where it is noticed) the following keys while routing:   O, S,  L, N

Try and you will see, what happens.
Marbek Elektronik, Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Konrad
Dienstleistung, Entwicklung, Herstellung