Author Topic: MC050-110 lg vs. nl  (Read 21468 times)

Offline dlewis

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Getman Corporation
MC050-110 lg vs. nl
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »
What's the difference between the lg hdw version and the nl hdw version?  Both versions, according to the data sheets, call out the same part number for the controller itself.

Offline Daniel

• PLUS+1 Expert
Re: MC050-110 lg vs. nl
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Hi dlewis

lg = One that supports old symbols to enable older applications to be recompiled without changes.
nl = One that is used to unleash the full potential of the new hardware that supports new symbols, naming conventions etc. and will be the base for future development.

Best regards
Daniel
PLUS+1® HelpDesk
PLUS+1® Help Desk Team

Offline BRIan

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »
So what does lg and nl stand for? It's not as obvious as old and new, so how do we remember it?

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
lg = LeGacy
nl = New...Language, Land, Love?

bgtwuk

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

Love..?...  Really? :)

Offline Daniel

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
Hi there.

Good suggestions!

But actually it stands for:
lg = legacy
nl = non-legacy

Best regards
Daniel
PLUS+1® HelpDesk
PLUS+1® Help Desk Team

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:28:20 PM »
I converted an MC024-10 application over to an MC024-110 yesterday, and using the -lg version was able to compile without a problem.  I did the recompile on my Desktop, and downloaded the .lhx to the new controller also from my desktop.

I took the controller out to a machine, opened my service tool on my laptop, and connected to the system.  When I scanned the system, I saw the new controller on-line, but when I went to my parameter and log functions, none of my Checkpoints or Parameters would show up.

Anyone else had this problem?  I ended up repeating the recompile process of the original Project File on the laptop to turn it into a -110, and after re-downloading, was able to see Checkpoints and Parameters normally.

I sent the controller to a customer, and had him hook up his laptop to check the unit after installation, with the same service tool... he's having the same problem I did yesterday... none of the Checkpoints or Parameters are visible, but the Controller is showing up under the ECU list and appears to be functioning correctly... he just can't make any adjustments or view any log functions in the service tool.

I'm running GUIDE version 7.0.7.1 on both machines.

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
Was able to reproduce this again... appears that I can only connect to the controller and see all the checkpoints and parameters if I compile the converted project on the same machine.  If I try to connect to the controller with another computer, I get the Invalid Format Error.

Sent an email to the Helpdesk and will post result.

Offline 240glt

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
Hi there.

Good suggestions!

But actually it stands for:
lg = legacy
nl = non-legacy

I was just about to start a new project with a MC50-120. There is three different OS: lg, nl, os. What does os stand for? And which one should I use for a new project?

Regards
Kent

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
Go here:
http://powersolutions.danfoss.com/products/mobileelectronics/plus1guide/plus1guidedownloads/index.htm
and click on the 'Readme' next to the package download. 

nl = One that is used to unleash the full potential of the new hardware that supports new symbols, naming conventions etc. and will be the base for future development.

lg = One that supports applications with old-style naming conventions to be able to re-compile MC0XX-0XX applications without changes.

os = One that supports old CAN and EEPROM symbols.

That said I'm not sure when you would want to use the OS version... if converting, I'd start with the -lg and if you have issues then try to -os.  If starting from scratch, use -nl.

hope that helps... I remember hunting for this a while back and hopefully can save the next guy some time : )

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:00:41 PM by niteRider »

Offline 240glt

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Thanks NiteRider!  :)
I thought that I had looked everywhere... But that readme document is not included into guide when the hwd files are installed.

Offline Loader

• PLUS+1 Expert
  • If something can go wrong, it will!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Hi NiteRider, have you solved it? I have same problem!

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
Not really a fix per-se, but a least a workaround:

--On the machine you compiled the -lg Project on, create a new Service Tool and create a Parameter Group 'All Params' (or whatever you want to call it) and add all parameters for the Controller you converted.  I'm pretty sure you have to do it on the original machine that Compiled the new -lg Project or it will not work.

--Copy the newly created Service Tool over to a machine that is getting the 'Invalid Format' error via flash drive, email, etc.

--Power up the controller and connect the 'Invalid Format' machine to it via CG150, then launch the Service Tool you created.

--You should get the 'Invalid Format in File' error on the first system scan.  If you do not, close out the Service Tool and try again.  It took me a couple tries sometimes...

--When you get the 'Invalid Format in File' error on the first scan, immediately re-scan the system (File-->Scan System or press F4).  You should be able to see Parameters and Checkpoints after rescanning.  Strangely enough, once you do this, all Service Tools created for this controller (even ones created under the previous versions) will scan and see Parameters and Checkpoints normally.

It sometimes took several tries and I found that if you do anything besides re-scanning after the initial 'Invalid Format' scan, it doesn't work.  The main drawback is that you have to do this on any machine that exhibits this error... in my case, I had several Field Service guys and customers that had to do it, so I suspect it has something to do with the machine that I compiled the -lg conversion on... the fact that a Service Tool created on that same machine seems to be the key to fixing it seems to support that hypothesis.  Unfortunately, Randy was unable to reproduce so it remains a bit of a mystery why this happens.  Perhaps as more people run into this they will be able to gather enough data to pin it down.

Hope that helps... if you cannot get this to work or doing this on all your Service Tool machines in the field is not an option, you'll want to start from scratch with a new Project built around -nl hardware... that's what I ended up doing before I was able to figure out this workaround via trial and error.  I got pretty good at exporting and importing pages, and it ended up being a good opportunity to clean up my code.  Having two machines with a full version of GUIDE side-by-side makes it a fairly painless process, just a little time consuming to make sure you hook everything back up correctly and you have to pay close attention to signal naming to avoid mismatches between pages.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:00:52 PM by niteRider »

Offline Loader

• PLUS+1 Expert
  • If something can go wrong, it will!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
Thank you very much!
I have the problem with MC024-110 instead the MC050-110 is ok.
We sometime have solved making a recover ECU with a Service Tool empty and than download again the application, but not always it works... :( overall because we often don't see the ROP...
When this procedure works, the ECU is visible and all is ok, but for strange causes another day the problem return again....
we have compiled the project with different PC but it is the same...I have tried also with S.Tool 7.1 but I think is better 7.0 for this problem...
I try with your workaround.
Thanks again, bye

Offline niteRider

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
Good idea... it didn't occur to me to try Recovering the ECU.  Make sure you share any insight with the Helpdesk/Randy so they can keep an eye on it.

Have a good one!