PLUS+1 Tools > PLUS+1 GUIDE

Guide and Service Tool 12.0.6

(1/5) > >>

dlewis:
I'm not thrilled with the new GUI in the latest revision of Guide and Service tool.  I find the new font hard to read and it seems very fuzzy until you zoom in.  Also, the tool bar is now grey scale rather than color.  This makes it difficult to find the function I'm looking to use.  It all seems like a BIG step backwards.

acmall:
I agree this is a massive step backwards.

The lack of colour in the icons makes distinguishing between them much harder and also increases eye strain as you now have to look for the one you want whereas when they were colour your eye is quickly drawn to the one you wanted by colour recognition.

I think it is the new text anti-aliasing feature that is making the text in the graphics area blurred when zoomed out , especially with the dark theme. In v11 even small text was crisp and easy to read when zoomed out. Now when zoomed out the text is burred and either difficult or impossible to read resulting in needing to zoom in.

The colours in the graphics area have also been changed and are now more muted which reduces contrast and again increases eye strain. This is also going be even harder to see when working outdoors in the daylight, which is fairly common when working on mobile equipment.

I really hope that whoever makes these decisions will give us the option to return to colour icons and if the anti-aliasing of the text in the graphics area cannot be better implemented so that the text is not blurred when zoomed out then give us the option to turn it off. I personally am much more interested in functionality over the interface looking pretty or meeting some perceived idea of 'modern'. I also do not want to end the my day with a headache due to the increased eye strain that this change is going to cause.

I think the most annoying thing about this is that there has obviously been a lot of hard work and effort went into making the changes, that hard work and effort could have went into improving functionality instead of redesigning something that didn’t really need changed and then ending up with a worse user experience.

The attached image show a comparison between the old and new graphics area.

dlewis:
AMEN !!!

gregbosma:
I haven't had much time to look into GUIDE yet, but I just took a look at Service Tool 12.0.6 and there's one big flaw...

Looks like BOOL elements on ServiceTool's graphical overviews are no longer colored red or green... this will be a huge problem. I have several .p1d files written where the BOOL elements help immediately identify a fault by showing a bit of red in a sea of green icons, but now we need to try noticing the word "OFF" in a sea of the word "ON". Also, just this week I had to video chat with one of our field techs. As shown in the attached screenshot, it's pretty easy to see the red or green icons from a blurry phone screen. Imagine trying to read from that phone screen without red/green fill colors...

I imagine Danfoss did the graphical update to accommodate colorblindness... If this is the case, there are other options I'd suggest:

* Configurable setting for turning on/off "colorblind mode"
* Instead of red/green fill, use black/white fill for BOOL icons (fill black w/ white text for "ON", fill white with black text for "OFF")
Overall, I can get used to the black-and-white toolbar icons, but taking away the BOOL icon's red/green fill colors is unacceptable.

FStelzer:
... and again - no multiline support for comments  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version