Author Topic: Hydrostatic pump controller  (Read 2565 times)

Offline matttargett4

• PLUS+1 User
Hydrostatic pump controller
« on: January 18, 2022, 03:47:16 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking to make a control module which will take a joystick input and transfer that to a hydrostatic pump output.

I'm using the MC024-120 controller and a S90 EDC pump.

I've connected up the modules as best as I know how in the Plus1 Guide software , but when I try to compile the project, a number of errors come up, shown below. Also attached the project file if that's any use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Offline Beezkneez

• PLUS+1 Developer
    • Trebro Turf Equipment
Re: Hydrostatic pump controller
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »
Hello,

When using a function block that connects to an output pin you need to delete the config settings for that pin in the outputs page (see screenshot). CurrentOut and OutputMode are both being set with the values from the function block, so the constant values that are connected in the output pages must be deleted or they will interfere. Delete the constant values (as shown in the screenshot) for both C2p03 and C2p04.

Hope that helps.

Offline matttargett4

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:48:18 PM »
That's worked,

Thanks for your help!

Offline matttargett4

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 11:10:00 PM »
Another question about software settings and hardware

My vehicle is 24v, so the controller supply voltage will be 24v, the edc control is 12v, how would I take care of that? Can it be done or do I need a 12v supply voltage?

Thanks

Matt

Offline G30RG3

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
The resistance of a 12V coil is typically below 4 Ohm, for a 24V coil we're talking about 15 to 20 Ohm.
This means that were you planning to use a 12V coil on a 24V  system, you would have a peak current of 6+ A.
This gets worse if your voltage rises to 27-28V (on mobile machines).

Depending on the type of pump, you might be able to change the coils to the rated voltage. To me, that's the preferred option.
Second option is to bring the controller to 12 Volt supply.
If that also is not an option, one could opt to install shunt resistors to limit the current peaks but that might might cause other issues as you probably need a +1.5 A max current to get the pump on max displacement. With a shunt in the region of 12 Ohm, that would mean a resistor that takes 20-25 Watt .

Offline deaks57

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:54:48 AM »
If you are driving a 90S EDC (KA) then never put 12V directly to it. You don't need more than 2.5V to get to max flow. Anything >6-7V increases service business ($$$).
If you are using a 90S EDC compliance block with the currents set correctly (14-85mA) then you don't need to worry about supply volts. The PWM duty shifts accordingly to control the current.

Offline matttargett4

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 12:27:05 AM »
Thanks,

That’s kind of what I was wondering, yes I’m using a 90l130 with edc control set up as 14-85mA and kind of wondered if the Pwm would take care of it, so in your opinion 24vdc supply voltage is fine? I guess I should connect both coils for as much impedance as possible?

Thanks

Matt

Offline tronelec

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »
in my experience the problem will be the other way around if the actuator is 24 volt and your source is 12 volt, but the actuators for pumps consume very little current, if you don't over do the current there would be no problem, what if the curve changed relationship between current versus flow

Offline deaks57

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 11:00:23 PM »
@matttargett4 Yes 24V is fine.