Author Topic: J1939 FOR C1D2  (Read 5073 times)

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
J1939 FOR C1D2
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:14 PM »
Hello there, here is the thing

Basically I have a C1D2 (Class 1 División 2, hazardous location) engine, the engine comes with the Customer interface harness where the signals are separated as Incendive and NON incendive which meets the C1D2

The J1939 is a non incendive signal.

That means I cannot interface the J1939 of the engine with the Danfoss controller Can bus directly. In other words if I want to do that I need a barrier or so.

the question is, does any one have dealed with this? did you find any barrier to interface the CAN BUS?

Regardsless of the Engine RPM control I want to monitor the engine parameters in a safe area.

I have a controller in a N7 box at the equiment that also monitors pressures from Intrinsically safe sensors

the other question could be for the Danfoss guys, is the CAN BUS of the controller a non incendive signal?

Here is the definition of non incendive signal
"equipment having electrical/electronic circuitry that is not capable, under normal operating
conditions, of causing ignition of a specified flammable gas-, vapor-, dust-air mixture fibers or
flyings due to arcing or thermal means"

in the specifications of the controller does no say anything related that is wy I am not sure

I appreciate any feedback

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: J1939 FOR C1D2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Hi Pinias!

My recommendation is to contact your local Danfoss Sales representative as this is something we don't mention in our specifications today and this is nothing I've heard of. 

Best regards!
Nilla
PLUS+1® Helpdesk

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
Yes, several intrinsically safe isolation options exist for a CAN/J1939 bus.  I think Cervis makes one, maybe MTL, and probably a few others.  You could also go with fibre-optic conversion between the two endpoints, or even wireless.  There's an online paper titled "Intrinsically safe CAN communication" which may also help.

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »
well,

I thought so, however I contacted Cervis and they said no, unless you buy the full Cervis system. The Gateway they have cannnot be used in standalone mode. They advertise it as bridge between the intrisically safe can and non intrisically safe but in small letters it says needs to be approved.

I asked for a quote to get it C1D2 compliance but no luck so far, it seems they are not at all interested in do it.

MTL they said they do not have anything for that purpose.

fiber optic it is not a choice for my application due to it is a portable unit it goes to the rig then it comes back so the lead will be damaged in the first trip.

after all there is a bototm line, as long as the power(current) requirements for the Danfoss display an controllers allow for it. It is somethign that I still need to verify I just wanted to have a special display and controller in the remote/safe área.

anyway thanks all for the feedback

Regards