Author Topic: profinet  (Read 4156 times)

Offline metalninjadragon

• PLUS+1 Developer
profinet
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
I'm looking for a controller that can handle both profinet (industrial ethernet) and CAN J1939, to "bridge the gap" as it were between the industrial and off-highway world.
Is there any way to do this with a Danfoss controller?

Offline oiltronic

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: profinet
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
Sure, knowing that J1939 is just a protocol overtop of CAN, just get one of the many CAN-to-Profibus converters or gateways out there, wire it up to the CAN output of the Danfoss controller, and you're done.  At least, that's what the brochure says...

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: profinet
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
I guess you have already figure out what to do.

but just in case.

I had to get data from J1939 and RS485 to be shown in a DP600 (which only has CAN), what I learn is the following

1.- it makes things much easier if you understand both protocols (I had few knowledge of RS485)

2.- not all gateways are easy to set it up

3.- the gateways are designed for industrial aplications not for off road so they are more vulnerables to faliure in the field. of course you need a box to hold it.

I took me a couple of months to get it working becuase of my lack of knowledge in RS485, I ended up with a EATON gateway that works just  fine (with this one you have to write down the RS485 code in C++) you can check the ADFweb ones it is supposed they are easy to set it up I was not able to get it working.

hope this hepls