Author Topic: Guide 5.1.9.3 and Fonts Not Showing Spaces Correctly  (Read 8000 times)

radioact

Guide 5.1.9.3 and Fonts Not Showing Spaces Correctly
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
So I have a nice user interface program with a bunch of text all setup so it looks good on our DP610 screens. After I updated guide and recompiled my project every space between the words is now gone. eachwordrunsintothenextlikethis

Due to the licensing issues with fonts and such I use only free fonts in my projects and stay away from all the fonts that come with your computer but I did do some testing with different fonts and sizes. I found that the space issue does not happen with every font, just a lot of them >:(. Not surprising but the fonts in the 'System Fonts' folder in Guide all display correctly, also I got one or two sizes of Arial display correctly but every other font and size I tried failed. See the pic showing guide stripping out the spaces from a font called Colaborate (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Colaborate). I added a few extra spaces here for dramatic effect.

Has anyone else had issues with the spaces in your displayed text after updating guide?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:16:45 AM by RadioAct »

Offline slewis

• PLUS+1 Developer
Re: Guide 5.1.9.3 and Fonts Not Showing Spaces Correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I've been fighting with the same issue.  Spaces don't work as regular text, or as formating characters for data values.  I thought it might help to convert a font to a unicode PIF file, but that lead me to find a seperate problem.  I can go so far as to install the P1F font into a system fonts folder in the Screen Library sidebar, but when I try and setup the font properties of a text it doesn't give me the option to choose that font.  I've only been able to find a couple of fonts that work with spaces, but none of them over a size 14.  Has anybody found a font around the 24-26 size that works?

radioact

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
I have also noticed that when I set a bunch of text to a font type, leave the screen editor then come back in the fonts are not displayed correctly. The editor seems to use the previous font type when I re-enter the editor to render the display. If I check the properties of the text it shows the correct font and if I change it to another type then change it back it will now be displayed correctly. I don't know if its related but its a pain to change the font types of all the text on a screen to something else then back again before I can start my edits just so I can see what the screen will actually look like on the device. Starting to seem like SD pushed out these UNICODE font thing before it was ready and we are the beta testers.

And seriously, how did the spaces bug get missed?

Tyler

Offline 240glt

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
I have also noticed that when I set a bunch of text to a font type, leave the screen editor then come back in the fonts are not displayed correctly. The editor seems to use the previous font type when I re-enter the editor to render the display. If I check the properties of the text it shows the correct font and if I change it to another type then change it back it will now be displayed correctly. I don't know if its related but its a pain to change the font types of all the text on a screen to something else then back again before I can start my edits just so I can see what the screen will actually look like on the device.

I have the same problem.

Se attached screenshot:
The left picture are after just entering the screen editor.
In the mid pic, I have selected the "80V:" text, changed the datavalue from 0 to 0. (Just deleted the 0, typed 0 again and then enter. Just so the guide think something is changed, and re-render the text again.) I also did the same with "SE4" and "SE7", just to see the difference. In the third pic, I did the same to all texts. This is how it should have looked the first time, when I entered the screen editor.

Is this problem solved? The previous post are from 19:th december, and now is the 9:th february. I'm using guide version 5.1.9.3

Edit: Yes, I got the spaces bug also. Working with a DP250, only one font are included that work. And it is size 8, and with the high resolution of the DP250 screen it is very hard to read.

Maybe we should start a new thread, where we lists the font that work, and the fonts that doesn't work?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:56:18 AM by 240glt »

Offline 240glt

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
I found a way around the problem with the missing spaces that worked for me:

The 5.0 and 5.1 seems to save installed fonts to the same location. If I start 5.0, and install the fonts, and then closes 5.0 and starts 5.1, the fonts are still there. And the spaces works! At least for the fonts I tried.
You don't have to open the project in 5.0, just install the fonts to the guide. And then import them to the project in 5.1.

radioact

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »
Great Suggestion,

I have confirmed that for me and the font I was having problems with (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Colaborate) that installing the font in V5.0 then adding it to the project in 5.1.9.3 it works correctly!! I get my spaces and I can use larger font sizes.

So here is what I did:

1. Close all versions of guide, open v5.0.9.1, do not open a project
2. Goto Setup->Install Font, and install the font of your choosing (be sure to uninstall the font first if you already have it installed)
3. Close Guide v5.0.9.1 and open Guide v5.1.9.3
4. Open the project and enter the screen editor
5. Add the font to your fonts folder, it should be listed in dialog even though it was installed with guide v5.0.9.1
6. Use it like normal

I can't guarantee this will work for all the issues people have been talking about here but I has worked for me.

Tyler

Offline dlewis

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Getman Corporation
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Has Sauer found a solution for this problem?

Thomas

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Hi!

It is resolved in PLUS GUIDE 5.1.10, this is the latest released version available on our website.

Thanks for your question // Thomas