Author Topic: Easier way to debug?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline THLL

• PLUS+1 User
Easier way to debug?
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:24:56 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can program better on Plus+1. Drag and dropping logic takes forever so I stick to POUs but anytime I need to debug its horrible, have to make a checkpoint, compile, change, compile again, check. With any other programming language I can just print any variable immediately and check. Is there another solution I am not seeing?

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
Re: Easier way to debug?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »
Unfortunately not.  We also make extensive use of Structured Text POUs.  I think the best hope is to continue to ask the developers to incorporate checkpoints or something inside of the ST environment.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline Mike

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:41 PM »
Has anyone got any help or training info for using the debugger? Playing around with the debugger I haven't quite figured out how to create break points and set the variables that I want to watch. I have been able to manually set some of the variables but need a bit more finesse to really be able to use it to debug things without a full system to download to.

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
I have not had any training but, you can set breakpoints by using Query\Change (Q) and selecting a connection to a component. Best I can tell you can only set breakpoints while running in debug although they are retained through debug sessions. They can also be disabled without removing them.

You can set watches, see local variables, etc. in the compiler messages window.

There is some info on the debugger starting on page 175 of the Guide manual.

Offline jlindholm

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »
Have you watched the PLUS+1 GUIDE debugger videos on the SW PAE teams YouTube channel ? They might help help you.
See this playlist : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Zh2eiA9Rk&list=PL6wa1HRpyb0TcPCaEEBk3TtP87NjnOik8

/Jonas