Author Topic: Editing dp600 display  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
Editing dp600 display
« on: March 03, 2021, 04:28:57 AM »
Basically a complete newb to this system, though I’ve found my way around the diagnostic software enough to get the job done.

We’ve got a machine that was a prototype build, the display layout amongst many other things leave a lot to be desired.   We’d like to edit the gauge layouts, background and add more gauges

Without having to go through 8 weeks of training, has anyone got some insight on how to get the info off of the display to edit it, or a guide on how to perform such a task?

Once we get the display refined, we’d like to hopefully be able to tweak the hydrostat side of the machine as the traction pumps can be erratic at times and the overall operation of the traction drives could use some refinement

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
Re: Editing dp600 display
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »
Hello Ykdave,

You can find information/Guides for the screen editor in PLUS+1 GUIDE in the user manual, search for screen editor.
https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/161209/AQ152886483724en-002301.pdf

The DP600 is using the "Classic Screen Editor".

I hope it will be helpful to you.

Have a nice day.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
Ykdave, I don't usually comment in the display subforum because I have a hard time doing so without getting worked up.  If you want to customize your gauges you have to actually use an image editor like GIMP, Paint.NET, or whatever one I've heard recommended on here.  Generally there are three parts to a gauge in a Danfoss display:  the background w/ tick marks, the numbers and labeling, and the needle.  These three things are then overlay onto each other within the display program to make a gauge.  So, you need to use actual image editing software to, for example, tweak the tick marks or the number scale on your gauge.  Then you re-import the image into GUIDE.

You'll hear fancy marketing terms like 'widget library', but all that means is you can then save this three-image combination into a library and reuse it as needed.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »
Thanks, kinda figured it would be something along those lines.  I’ve actually used dglux to create gauges for a raspberry pi project for a different machine.  I’ve just never used the guide software and have limited use of the diagnostic software

One thing I don’t see, or maybe I’m looking in the wrong part of the manual, Since we weren’t the ones to originally set this up, is it possible to take the data off of the unit, edit it and download it back to the machine?   I only see instructions on there for downloading the completed project to the display

Or are we going to have to start from scratch?

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 01:57:43 AM »
You'll have to start from scratch.  In my experience it's pretty rare for mobile microcontrollers to have that feature of being able to download the complete program in its actual project form with one notable exception being a large Brand X.  I believe it's fairly common in PLCs though.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 03:01:48 AM »
Ah that’s what I thought, but was hoping for different!

I’ve pulled the parameter files off of the machine, used the service tool to decrypt them to the .csv format. But if I try to import the parameters to a new project, I just get an error “unsupported file format”  >:(

I’ve got a lead on the guy who may have done the original programming for this machine, hopefully he’s got the original project files kicking around on a USB stick somewhere

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »
Think I’ll hold off on this until I can hopefully get in contact with the guy that originally set this up.  I’m not confident enough at this point to start from scratch on this, I’m only at the level where I think I can muck around and do what we need to do without messing everything up  ;D

This might come down to doing a whole pile of reading, learning and redesigning this system from scratch.  There is a lot of things that need to be tweaked to make this a better, safer machine to run, if I have to start from scratch, I guess that’s what we will probably end up doing

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:02:46 AM »
As mentioned above for the DP600 you need to use the Classic Screen Editor. If this this is a prototype machine and you are starting from scratch with the software I would suggest looking into the possibility of using one the the newer screens that use the Vector Based Screen Editor as the functionality and workflow is much better. Also the Classic Screen Editor does not appear to be getting developed any more so I expect those screens are only being kept around for legacy reasons.

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »
Sorry, I meant the machine was originally built as a 1 of 2 prototypes, the company had sold off the design after unit 2 was built.  I suspect they were just getting a little too far over their head on this project.

I’m dealing with a machine that’s already built and running, it just requires some refinement

It would be awesome if I can get ahold of the original project files, if they still exist, it’s a little over my head to go and start from scratch on this as the danfoss Mc and ix024 basically run the entire machine (steering/travel pumps, implement pump, lights, pvg valve, ect)

I say start from scratch on the whole system because we’d like to hopefully modify the travel pump configuration also as it is in dire need of refinement

Offline FluidPowerTom

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
If you do start from scratch or even just want to do some testing I'd highly recommend then just buying a new Danfoss controller, expansion module, and display so that you're not wiping the program off what you've got now.  You're right that there's a goodly amount of learning curve here.  You might want to contact your local distributor for training.  I've run training classes for customers in the past, and just the basic training runs about 2.5 full days.  The amount of value you get from it will depend a great deal on if you have any previous programming experience and if you dive right in to experimenting directly afterward.
Controls Engineer
Hydra-Power Systems

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »
Unfortunately out local danfoss distributor is all but useless for this kind of thing.  They’ve never dealt with this side of the product line, they didn’t even know about the software or the com adapter  :o

I guess at this point ideally we would just tinker around with a whole new setup and keep these original ones intact for backup, I’m not sure how practical that is for us at the time though.  For what we need to do, it may just be cheaper to hire someone to do the software for us

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 07:35:35 AM »
Hi,

Really good points to consider before you dive into the project.

I just want to point out that there are also some training you can do online. Take a look here: https://www.danfoss.com/en/products/software/dps/plus1-software/#tab-training
If you click the "Sign up for PLUS+1 training online" you can see which courses are planned.  Due to the pandemic, the face to face classes may be changed into online trainings.

Have a nice day.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 04:34:35 AM »
Thanks.  Seems there%u2019s nobody local here that wants to take a crack at redesigning the software for this from scratch and we haven%u2019t had any luck locating someone with the original project files

Looks like I may end up taking a stab at this myself as we have issues with the mc controllers that HAS to be resolved.  On that note is it completely unheard of, that the controller says its pwm output is X and the output is actually different?

Totally different topic from the display, but same machine.   It had some redneck boosting by an operator last year which resulted in a fried controller on the valve bank and terminating resistor  :-X

Since that mishap, weve had issues with the drive.  It is 2 series 90 edc pumps controlled by one of the mc050-010s and suregrip joystick.  Sometimes the unit will track extremely hard to one side or the other, or the speed will be faster or slower than it should.  During these episodes the input from the joystick shows no steering input, the max request, request and output all show equal left/right. But we%u2019re getting one pump stroking different than the other or both pumps stroking more or less than they should

The pumps and motors are ~400h on a fresh rebuild, edc%u2019s both ohmed ok and the same on both pumps (14.8/16.9ohms at -10c)

It seems like it may be an issue in a discrepancy between the mc%u2019s commanded output and the actual output?  Typically stopping and leaving the joystick centred for a few seconds clears up the pulling to one side, but the overall speed is then usually effected.  After a direction change or steering, the unit will usually go back to pulling one way or the other again

Id like to take a physical measurement of the output while the machine is working, would it pose any issue to run a multimeter on the edc wiring to verify the milliamperes remain constant or change when the machine acts up?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:40:37 AM by Ykdave »

Offline SJ Industries

• PLUS+1 Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 07:37:51 AM »
From a purely breakdown mechanics perspective, I would be checking all the earth's on the machine, ensure the earths to the MC are good. Ensure there is no difference in voltage outputs at the solenoids compared to the output at the controller connector. Run an external earth to the solenoid back to the ecm solenoid earth removing it from the existing harness. 

There should be no issue using a multimeter on the ECM as long as normal precautions are taken.

I have had machines "overheat" due to bad earth's on a fuel level sensor, causing a voltage backfeed up the ecm 5 volt sensor return, raised the a system temp by 4 degrees as far as the ecm was concerned. It is amazing the weirdness that bad earth's can cause.

As far as programming from scratch, the training courses will speed your learning curve dramatically. I recommend having a look into it.

Offline Ykdave

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 05:38:32 PM »
Thanks, trying to pick away at this when I’ve got time and the machine isn’t working.  I checked the wiring harness yesterday.  Getting ~.02ohm on all grounds and power wires between the mc and the pumps

Now that I know which pins are what at the mc, I’ll backprobe my meter and I’ll be able to watch the actual outputs while the machine is working and hopefully that’ll bring me closer to figuring this out.

Is their any possible way that theirs something in the software that could still be modifying output after the “pwm output” signal that I’m reading on the laptop?

Seems odd how the thing usually smartens up if it’s stroking one pump higher, by just stopping for a few seconds 🤷???