Author Topic: Programming SDF displays and controllers with standard languages, compilers, etc  (Read 13544 times)

ET

After nearly three months of reading through the available documentation, I'm actually to the point where I can start programming the Sauer-Danfoss (SDF) displays and controllers I have been tasked with.
However, I am routinely finding more and more limitations of the GUIDE programming environment.
For example:
  • Working with large image libraries is prohibitively slow. Each bitmap must be imported one by one through the GUI; importing multiple files is not available.
  • Basic programming tools, such as subroutines, loops, and variables are either missing, severely limited in their functionality, or very slow to utilize in a GUI. For example, the loop construct provided in GUIDE has a list of several dozen things which cannot be contained inside of it.
  • There are things which are more complicated than necessary, and force the programmer to waste precious time re-remembering the weird ways in which GUIDE does things. (colloquially known as wasted time factor, "WTF") For example, the "switch" construct in guide, for selecting one signal from a set of signals: S(1) selects input N - 1, S(2) selects N - 2, ..., S(N) selects N - N (input zero). This requires the programmer to do subtraction in their head every time they want to verify which signal they think they are selecting. If however, the mapping was S(1) -> signal 1, S(2) -> signal 2, ..., S(N) -> signal N, the programmer would instantly know what they were referencing. Furthermore, the GUIDE environment could be made simpler by the removal of the two-input switch, three-input switch, ..., and their help file entries, since the N-input switch's functionality is a superset of the smaller switches' functionality.
  • Using the GUI environment of GUIDE is slow by its nature of being partly WYSIWYG, but mostly because typing pumpspeed = max(5000, floor(userlimit * correctionfactor)) is several orders of magnitude faster than dragging each function onto the GUI, then tediously connecting each signal wire, then making sure that these wires do not overlap or otherwise make the program look cluttered.

Also noteworthy is that, according to the provided docs, all of SDF's displays and controllers are powerful (overly powerful for controlling pumps and motors) computers, with an ARM processor, memory, and a small amount of non-volatile memory.
So, I would like to know what resources exist for programming displays and controllers without using GUIDE.
For example, what libraries, files, etc are there for using a plain text editor, the C programming language, and a known complete compiler such as GCC, to program SDF displays and controllers?

Randy

I can tell you have had a lot of experience with programming.
There is an option to use C to program some of the devices.(I believe mainly controllers.)
(Contact your Sauer-Danfoss sales representative to get more information.)
It is my understanding there are not any supporting "libraries" equivalent to the PLUS+1™ Function Block Libraries.

ClaudioDatek

Sorry to jump in such an old post but this was the only which could partly address my question.
I am wondering how I can get rid of the graphical interface and program the controllers from a structure language.
I see I can use ST IEC61131 but I don`t see how I can import FB like the CAN_RX and CAN_TX.

I am a programmer and with my company we are evaluating the possibility of using the DANFOSS controller for our applications.
We mostly work with Codesys v2.3/v3.5 which give a lot of flexibility when programming.
I came to the point that if we cannot get rid of the graphical interface and use a more `programmer friendly` interface we cannot in any way implement the type of software we do at the moment.
It would take me so much time and effort for making a software and also to support and maintain it.

So I kindly ask to the forum if there is any way to program the controller from an interface like C or pascal or completely use the IEC61131 Structure interface (which is based on pascal).
Thank to anyone who will reply to me

Offline pinias

• PLUS+1 Guru
Guys,

this is just my point of view and how I see this kind of inconvenients:

1.- Codesys (most used by EATON) could be the competitor for PLUS 1, right?  so why should  they be identical?

2.- I have worked with MPLab and never expected GUIDE to work in that way , I just had to understand the benefits and disadvantages that GUIDE offer, I like both!!

3.- Besides programing I do 3D modeling & FEA, I started with Autcad 10 (unix operating system), then Mechanical Desktop (Windows system) then Solid Works, then Pro Engineer... none of them work the same way. At one time I wanted Pro Engineer would work like Inventor...I was wrong... I just wasted like 3 days wanted that, I had to focused on how my current software works and that is all..things start working better.

I just want to said do not blame PLUS1 just understand its benefits and limitations, if you want it works like another software it will be better to switch to the other software.

to me the limitations versus CODESYS is the communication protocols  other than that they are capable to do the same. It will be useful if the  Plus 1 could have RS485 also.

those are my thoughts about.

Offline Nilla

• PLUS+1 Guru
Hi ClaudioDatek!

PLUS+1® GUIDE is all about building your application with drag-and-drop logical components or software blocks using the graphical interface. This is not a typical “PLC-programming-tool”. By choosing from the pre-tested software blocks in the PLUS+1® GUIDE library, you can build the functionality you require – at all levels of complexity.

You can read more about the use of IEC 61131-3 on page 517 in the PLUS+1 GUIDE User Manual. At the moment there is no way to program just like the C interface that you're mentioning but you could use existing IEC 61131-3 that it sounds like you have looked at. We would be happy to support you in finding out the easiest way for you to implement your structured text if you could send us your program in PLCopenXML-format to plus1helpdesk@danfoss.com .

Best regards
Nilla
PLUS+1® Helpdesk

Offline federico.furlani

• PLUS+1 Novice
Any news about programming with IEC61131? We are facing more and more complex program and it really would be useful.