Author Topic: Guide 12.2 User Interface Lag  (Read 4450 times)

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
Guide 12.2 User Interface Lag
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:36:02 PM »
Is anyone noticing UI lag with Guide 12.2 as the program size increases.

I have been testing 12.2 and on my system there is a considerable UI lag as the program size increases. It happens at the end of a command for instance when adding components then pressing ESC to end or after clicking Ok to confirm deleting a component.

It also happens when routing a signal. Clicking to connect the second endpoint of the signal results in the lag. If trying to route signals for several components there are a few different outcomes. Either the first click for the next signal is missed, the signal appears after the lag but is not connected to the component, or the signal is connected to the wrong component.

Appears to be related to program size as there is initially no UI lag with a new program, the UI lag gradually increases as the program size increases. I can artificially reproduce the UI lag by creating a page and adding about a number of switch 16 components then creating multiple copies of the page, no need to connect signals. The more copies of the page that are added the longer the UI lag becomes.

Be interested if anyone else is seeing the same behavour.

Offline Fredrick

• PLUS+1 Developer
Re: Guide 12.2 User Interface Lag
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
I also have the same behavior and it feels like the UI lag increases each time a new GUIDE version releases.
Two important things I learned when working in GUIDE

1. Always open a project file (.p1x) on the local drive and not on any network or cload drive.
2. Ask your IT department (if any) if they can exclude the GUIDE program files from the realtime antivirus scanner, also exclude a folder on your computer where you work with your GUIDE projects.

Disable "Undo/Redo" under the menu "Options/General settings" also makes GUIDE a little bit faster but it´s not an option for me.

The above only help´s a bit, the UI lag is still a big problem on larger programs.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:37:04 PM by Fredrick »

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Thanks @Fredrick for confirming.

For me the UI lag in previous versions is minor but in 12.2 it is unworkable. All files are local and virus scanner excludes Guide files. I just tried disabling Undo but this made no difference.

Ironically the performance of the PLC editor has improved dramatically, opens almost instantly and switching tabs is instant. Previously, for me at least, there was a 1.5 second delay when switching between open tabs.

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:31:34 AM »
Hi,

I can confirm that there is an issue with the 12.2 release that make it slow, especially with large projects. This has been reported to the developers and it has the highest priority.
I've been told that the root cause is found, and a patch will be released as soon as it's fixed and validated. 

I'm sorry if this has caused any problems for you.

Have a nice day.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 10:35:47 AM »
Hi @Thor

Thanks for the update.

While you are taking UI, do you know why I am not able to drag the toolbar that is now at the side by default back to the top? I would like to put it back into the empty space that it left behind in the top toolstrip rather then have it take up additional space from the CAD area.

Offline Fredrick

• PLUS+1 Developer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »
While we're talking GUIDE 12.2.

Are the "bus names" on components and pages deleted on purpose or is there a bug?
I find it very useful to be able to see the names when zooming in on a page or component which is not possible on version 12.2

See attached pictures
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:03:55 PM by Fredrick »

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:32:59 AM »
Hi,

@acmall,
The toolbars location is a design choice from the developers. I don't disagree with you that you want as much drawing area as you can, and I will forward your opinion to the team.

@Fredrick,
I have not noticed that issue until now. And I agree it is useful to see the port names when zooming in. I will report it.

Thanks for letting us know.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

Hi @Thor thanks for the update.

I'll preface the rest of the post by saying that it is intended to be constructive and encourage further debate on the forum, just in case it come across as a rant!

The toolbars location is a design choice from the developers.
From this statement I believe you are saying the developers decided that the toolbar will be fixed at the side and cannot be moved back to the top or turned off?
If this is correct this raises a few questions: -
  • First I have to ask why? I am all for choice and if someone wants toolbars at the side that is ok but, why force this change on long term users who may not want the toolbars at the side? IMHO this is just wasting space as illustrated by the attached image.
  • Why does it have to be fixed? Toolbars that can be docked where the user wants have been existed for a long time
  • Why take away the ability to turn the toolbar off

Same thing with the colour changes, I like the new colours when in the office but, there should be the choice to change to a set of colours that give higher contrast when this is needed. There is no point the software looking pretty if it degrades the user experience for some of the users depending on the use case.

I recognise that the developers are working hard to improve Guide, and as I mentioned in a previous post there are some really nice and much appreciated additions to Guide 12.2 (and Service Tool 12.2) so, I hope they won't take the criticism of some the the decisions personally!

Offline Marbek_Elektronik

• PLUS+1 Guru
    • Marbek Elektronik
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »
@acmall: I also can't work with this colours, this low contrast, I allways said this and I will hope Danfoss will give us the option to use same colours as in V11. It was perfect and I will not work with V12!
Marbek Elektronik, Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Konrad
Dienstleistung, Entwicklung, Herstellung

Offline Tor

• Administrator
  • PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:35:31 AM »
Hi,

I don't have any good answers to why the choices have been made, I can only forward your opinions to the developers.
We appreciate all the input you have, so keep them coming.

Have a great day and stay safe.
Best regards,
Tor
PLUS+1® SW PAE Team

Offline Egholm-Jonas

• PLUS+1 User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
The lag is not consistent anymore in the 12.2.9 update..
But is it only me the experiences long lags now and then?

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 10:06:38 AM »
I haven't noticed any lag in 12.2.9 but, I have only used it briefly for for testing. I still jump back to V11 when I am outside at a machine due to the poor contrast of the new colours in V12 and the difficulty this causes in the daylight/sunlight. Unforutnally the request to have a high contract option appears to not be getting any priority so now those of us have issues due to the lack of contract have to decide between not using V12.2 and missing out on the really good updates or putting up with straining to see what we are doing and the fatigue that this causes us. 

Offline Richard

• PLUS+1 Expert
    • Textron
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
Hi all,

I've only just started to use V12 due to the colours of the interface that I am not a fan of.  V12.2.9 is so slow I'm wishing I didn't do the upgrade now.  I am using it on a laptop with all files local and I find it almost unusable.  I am used to using the keyboard shortcuts for speed and it just can't keep up.  During the wait I often click L over and over and then when it wakes up it's all the way to the top level!  Stretch, move, copy, paste, etc etc all seem to be affected.

Just as I'm getting used to the nice features of stretchable multiline text windows it seems like I need to revert back to V11.  I hope that is possible until the next release that is usable at speed.

Richard

Offline acmall

• PLUS+1 Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 08:52:58 AM »
V12.2.9 appears to cure the lag for me when testing but, I am not using it daily for real work due to the interface colours and the difficulty it is causing me  using it outdoors.